14 August, 2020

SCIENCE&ARTWORK | PLANET NIRANTO | PART 1

IT ALL STARTED WITH A WAR GAME...

Last week, I was getting without ideas for writing the lore of an alien people - the Hoku, so, to represent the past 200 years of great battles and conquests of those people, I invited, my cousin and his friends to play a game - we would basically play War, in the worldmap of Hokushoku.

And well, once I started naming places, I found out that my cousin's friend, Ozeias, was also into worldbuilding and were getting started into conlanging too - so, I offered my help, and in turn he would let me write about the process.

We chatted all evening yesterday (as I started writing this post), and here is some of what we talked about:
























So, in summary, among other stuff we discussed, we defined that the planet, which he called Niranto, would be an Oceanic Super-Earth, with two large and close moons, the moons would cause immense tides, orbiting a close-binary system - the exact data on it would be at my criteria, as long as it does fit the given description.

We one of the first things that I've showed him was the proper size relation of the planet and it's moons, to the Earth and the Moon.

We would still talk a lot while I calculated his parameters and corrected myself over dozens of tries to fit certain aspects, like moon periods.

I've sent several tables, and updated them as we discussed further, and we also accorded to make some visuals so he could properly visualize it


THE STARS

The members of the binary system are Kratyr and Amakbal:

Kratyr
G1V
1,05 Msol
1,14 Lsol
1,04 Rsol
Angular size in the sky 0,46°

Amakbal
M0V
0,45 Msol
0,12 Lsol
0,55 Rsol
Angular size in the sky 0,25°

The Sun compared to the two stars of the system

The two stars would be separated for 0,124 AU, having an orbital period of 13,13 Earth days, and as seem from Niranto, would have an average angular separation of ~5,9°.

To calculate the angular size of your star, or the angular separation of your binary stars as seen from your planet, just use this equation:

ang = (size * 57,29) / distance

In this case, use both size and distance in kilometers, the diameter of your star, times 57,29, then divided by the orbital distance of your planet in AU times 150 million km.


THE PLANET

In this case, using our calculators, I adjusted the planet distance and atmosphere so the planet would have an average temperature to about 17,6°C.

Niranto

PHYSICS
Mass: 5,10 Me
Radius: 1,76 Re (22.425,92 km in diameter)
Density: 5,15 g/cm³
Gravity: 16,17m/s²
Orbital distance: 1,2AU
Orbital period: 393d
Rotational period: 1d 3h (27h)


ATMOSPHERE
Mass: 4,6 atmospheric masses
Composition: 72% N², 27% O², 0,08% CO², 0,30% H²O, 0,00018% CH⁴, 0,70% Argon and other gases.
Greenhouse potential: 1,37x
Average surface temperature: 17,62°C
Pressure at sealevel: 1,49 atm
Air density: 1,81 kg/m³
Scale height: 4,34 km

Niranto's World Maps


The larger continent on the right-side is roughly the size of Russia, while the continent left to it is little smaller than Australia

Oceanic Currents map

Oceanic migration routes, departing from the tiny island continent on the center of the image

THE MOONS

Clary
Mass: 0,04 Me
Diameter: 5.096,8 km
Density: 3,44 g/cm³
Gravity: 2,46 m/s²
Orbital distance: 229.356 km
Orbital period: 5d 14h
Visual Magnitude when full: -12,91

Joan
Mass: 0,026 Me
Diameter: 4.459,7 km
Density: 3,34 g/cm³
Gravity: 2,08 m/s²
Orbital distance: 445.970 km
Orbital period: 15d 4h
Visual Magnitude when full: -11,17


And using Artifexian's tide calculator, I placed the moons (both tidally locked btw) in such a way that the standard tides would be of ~15,8m tall.

The angular sizes of the moons, Clary and Joan, are 1,34° and 0,59 °, respectively, compared to the Moon's ~0,52°

END RESULT
This is how the planet and it's moons were rendered as the final result:
Both planets and their moons, side-to-side for scale

Besides, improving my own skills using Excel, and the calculator itself, I also learned key-steps into making cloud formations, which as a thing I wasn't able to do for a long time, nor properly find it on the internet - I decided that's a post I will make soon, especially for you guys that are kinda tired of relying on NASA's blue marble cloud textures - like me.

NEXT POST I WILL BE REVISING HIS CONSCRIPT, stay tuned...

- M.O. Valent, 14/08/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

HIGHLIGHTS

SCIENCE&ARTWORK | BINARY STAR SUNDIAL | PART 1

IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONSTRUCT A BINARY STAR's SUNDIAL? WHY? So this last week I've been trying to work on my own sundial to settle up ...